New Year’s Resolutions

The history of resolutions dates back to the Babylonians, 4,000 years ago. During their New Year, in March, they would return borrowed items to friends and neighbors and resolve to pay back debts. This was followed by the Romans when January became the month to celebrate the New Year. The month was named after the god Janus, and he was depicted as having two faces, one looking back and one looking forward. It was thought that at the New Year, like Janus, you should look back and reflect on the past year and look forward to plan for the New Year.

Unlike the Babylonians and Romans, I don’t make a new year’s resolution. Instead, I have a resolution that I live by each day. This advice came from my mother when my daughter, Mary Leah was born. Mom said, “Do the best you can do every day.” I encourage you to make this resolution too. Happy New Year!