#PostGradLife



For the 2013 Northeast Greek Leadership Conference, fraternity men and women focused on "putting it all together.” I couldn't have phrased it any better. This meeting allowed me and other NPC volunteers the opportunity to run a new presentation called #PostGradLife. This program shared information about alumnae opportunities for sorority women whether professional or volunteer and how it all translates from the college experience.

A look at the Northeast Greek Leadership Conference.
I shared my unique story. I did not participate in recruitment and receive my bid until my junior year. I also never held any officer positions. Some would have called me just an average, dues-paying member. However, your collegiate experience does not define your alumna experience, in fact, it is only the beginning of the lifelong journey. When I started graduate school I wasn’t aware of the many volunteer opportunities, so I knocked on the Alpha Xi Delta chapter’s door and asked if there was anything I could do to help. This simple gesture started me down a path that eventually led to me being National President.

In a twist of fate, I got started on Alpha Xi Delta's delegation because I lived in the right place at the right time. The NPC annual meeting was in Orlando, where I reside, and one of the alternate delegates for Alpha Xi Delta was not able to make the meeting. I got the call to come sub in and began my NPC journey.


The NPC Executive Committee at the Northeast Greek Leadership Conference.
So, there is no perfect road map to follow to become the NPC chairman or your organization’s president. It simply starts with getting involved. There are many opportunities as an alumna, including being active in your local alumnae chapter, becoming an advisor to the nearest collegiate chapter, working as a professional within fraternity and sorority life or getting involved in your local Alumnae Panhellenic chapter. You can share your talents in whatever way you see fit, whether that is your time, knowledge, education or professional experience. And it’s okay to take a break from volunteering. You will always be welcomed back.


The key to finding opportunities is to network with both men and women within and outside of your organization. All fraternity and sorority members that cross your path today could provide an opportunity tomorrow. Be open to new ideas and collaborations. You are the driver of your sorority experience, especially as an alumna. There is lots of potential for you to get involved and make new friends, you just have to make a move.