Executive Committee Retreat - July 2012


As Chairman of the National Panhellenic Conference, I am often asked about the work of the Conference and what we are “up to these days.” I respond by telling people that we are “the premier advocacy and support organization for the advancement of the sorority experience” and that we do this work collectively as a body of 26 individual sorority organizations. What I don’t usually tell them about are the individuals behind the decisions that make this a dynamic, thriving organization. I had the opportunity to spend last weekend with some of these dynamic women, and I was reminded, once again, that the Conference is so much more than the work that we do, we are a group of women who believe passionately in the power of the sorority experience. 

As an Executive Committee we gather in person frequently throughout the year to discuss relevant topics that are affecting our members and member sororities and we discuss the course of action for the Conference as outlined by the Board of Directors. All very high-level decisions and work that you would expect an Executive Committee to do. What you may not expect is that we actually enjoy each other and the work, while it is hard work, these women make it fun. 

The NPC Executive Committee is comprised of five women: Jean Mrasek the vice chairman; Julie Johnson, College Panhellenics Committee chairman; Mary Jane Beach, Alumnae Panhellenics Committee chairman; JosetteKaufman, Budget and Finance Committee chairman; and me. We come from all over the country from all walks of life but with one common purpose – execute the vision and direction that the NPC board of directors has set forth and advance the sorority movement.

These women are my colleagues, confidants and most importantly, they are my friends. We have different Panhellenic backgrounds and paths that brought us to our current roles, but we share the same passion for sorority. I am blessed to know them and work alongside them, along with the other members of our board of directors, and I look forward to the remainder of my term as chairman and all that we will accomplish.