Advisor Appreciation Month

In April, we celebrate Advisor Appreciation Month.  It is a time for us to recognize all who guide, support and advise our collegiate chapters and members as well as the fraternity and sorority community.

My first experience with a chapter advisor occurred when I was in graduate school at the University of Tennessee. I wanted to stay connected to Alpha Xi Delta, so I joined the alumnae association in Knoxville and asked if I could help in any way with our chapter at UT. I was introduced to Harriett Hitchcock Holtman. Mrs. Holtman was instrumental in establishing the UT chapter in 1958 and had served as chapter advisor since its installation. What I experienced was a woman who was respected and revered by the chapter members, and I could see why ... she cared about every one of the members. She was a mentor, counselor, motivator and educator – ensuring that the chapter realized its potential and that every member had a significant sisterhood experience.

My life has not only been impacted by chapter advisors and advisory boards, but also by the fraternity/sorority advisors who guide our undergraduate chapters through leadership decisions, mentoring and advising. These advisors spend countless hours sharing their insight and lending support to our chapters.

One of the tenants of all of our organizations is leadership. Leadership is a learned value and during this month, let's take time to thank all our advisors who provide an ever present leadership example to our chapters and leadership boards. We would not be the women and organizations we are today without the dedication of these amazing advisors.